My husband grew up in an Indian-immigrant household where his mom was very conscious of preserving traditional Indian recipes as well as introducing more Western recipes to the table. Once in a while, a meal would consist of a fusion of two cultures, trying to incorporate leftovers into a completely new meal the next day. Thus, the Vegetarian Fusion Chana Masala Taco was born.
For my own family, I love to meal prep and meal plan to make cooking efficient. I typically boil garbanzo beans (chickpeas) at the beginning of the week to use throughout the week. Needless to say, one of our favorites is Chana Masala (Chole or Spicy Garbanzo Beans) because I can transform it from one of the family’s favorite traditional Indian dishes into a Mexican taco-style lunch the day after!
Check out my recipe for Authentic Indian Chana Masala. Make it for dinner tonight, and use the leftovers as Chana Masala Tacos tomorrow for lunch!
Chana Masala Ingredients
Chana Masala consists of two main groups of ingredients, fresh ingredients AND authentic Indian spices. The fresh ingredients in this recipe include garbanzo beans, garlic, ginger, onions and tomatoes. You can use the canned garbanzo beans or dry garbanzo beans cooked in a pressure cooker or the Instant Pot. Personally I like the latter option as the garbanzo beans have a softer, richer consistency.
As with many traditional Indian recipes, having the correct spices on hand is key! Most Indian households store an Indian spice container in a drawer or cabinet near their stove for easy access. I keep my ‘masala dabba‘ in the drawer immediately to the right of my stove. It contains most of the traditional spices I would need to cook almost any Indian meal. In this recipe, we’ll use paprika, turmeric and red chili powder. We’ll also add a pop of flavor to our Chana Masala with a chana masala spice mix.
Indian Mexican Fusion Chana Masala Tacos
The basic method to making Indian Mexican Fusion Chana Masala Tacos is to prepare Chana Masala for dinner the night before. Then, we’ll take the leftovers, add taco seasoning and convert into tacos! Voila!
Vegetarian Fusion Chana Masala Tacos
- Leftover Chana Masala (https://www.warriorinthekitchen.com/authentic-indian-chana-masala-chole/)
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup water (adjust as needed for consistency)
- taco shells (optional)
- lettuce (optional)
- shredded mexican cheese (optional)
- Add the taco seasoning to Chana Masala.
- Mash with masher and add water as needed for a loose but not runny consistency.
- Heat in saucepan. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Serve on taco shells or as a lettuce wrap with tomatoes, avocado, optional cheese and salsa.
- Follow the recipe for Authentic Indian Chana Masala. This recipe for Chana Masala Tacos uses leftover Chana Masala.
SHOP THIS RECIPE!
Click on the links below to purchase the items used in this recipe. (Note: I may make a small commission if you purchase a product through one of these links at no additional cost to you. See full affiliate link disclosure.)
As always, I would love to hear your feedback or questions about this recipe. Comment below!
Again, to make the Indian Mexican Fusion Chana Masala Tacos, check out my recipe for Authentic Indian Chana Masala first!
Add MacroNutrients To MyFitnessPal
To add this Vegetarian Fusion Chana Masala Tacos recipe to your MyFitnessPal Food Diary, follow these 4 simple steps:
- Select and copy Warrior In The Kitchen Vegetarian Fusion Chana Masala Tacos
- Click on the MFP logo below and login to access your Food Diary.
- Click on Add Food under the meal heading you wish to add your food.
- Paste ‘Warrior In The Kitchen Vegetarian Fusion Chana Masala Tacos‘ into the Food Database Search bar to access the nutrition info and add to your Food Diary.